Thursday, July 7, 2011

To my darling friend...

Your words have been pulsating through my mind -- reverberating, moving, vibrating. I am grateful to have received them in the moment that I did, as if you knew I needed to hear your voice, off in the distance, reminding me of the woman that I am, the women we are.

We are not like the rest and have fought relentlessly to keep our feet firm on the ground in a world that demands conformity and mediocrity and diminishes creativity and honesty of self. Finding myself (voluntarily) in a world that I want no part of amplifies my amazement of how we are different. How we choose to live honestly, without ever feeling the need to mask our true selves, the dark and the light. I could not be more grateful than I am today to have you in my life, on my side, knowing without ever having to say.

Each day presents a choice to live honestly and some days the decision is easier than others. I suppose I have made it a habit to always be my authentic self, even if it makes others uncomfortable. I don't know how to be anything other than what I am and it is women like you that have allowed me to live so freely. I often wonder what it would feel like to tread through life actively oblivious to the world around you, only feeling concerned with how others view you and if you are doing all the right things. Why has it become more important to have the right job, the right salary, the right body, and the right partner than to live consciously, think critically, act healthily, and to actively choose your work based on principle and personal well-being?

Perhaps because we choose something outside of a prosaic life we are considered an anomaly to most but isn't it more valuable to be considered rare than to not be considered at all? To blend into the rest, colourless and without voice?

Whatever the answer is, I am proud of you for being so ridiculously authentic, for following the trail back to a place that could very well break your heart but for believing it could be something soul shaking. And thank you for never allowing me to be less than I am, for loving me anyways and for continuously challenging me to be better.

Te quiero mi hermana.
Cuidate.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment