Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ramble dee damble...

It seems I've taken to staying up so late that my mind and body are left with no choice but to crumble into a dutiful sleep just when the sun is beginning to open its eyes. Another night spent with a brush in my hand, colours being mixed and married and a creative force leading our dance throughout the night.

I'm not really sure what I want to say this morning as my eyes are still heavy and mind feels like there is sand being shaken around the wooden walls of my head, much like a maraca. I think I can hear that sound - slow, steady, a million little pieces of sand working together to create a sense of being near an ocean. I know that this is the sound a conch shell actually makes and the feelings or memories it invokes, but the sound of rushing sand stirs up the same nostalgic emotions for me. Sue me.

I'm sure I had a clear idea of what I was writing about this morning when I kicked Sofia out of the room and grabbed my laptop. It must have been lost or stolen while I was in the bathroom or feeling like a terrible 'mom' for banishing my sweet little kitten from the room. She sits just outside of the door and gives her little meows all she's got. They're more like 'mews' or meows that are like squeaks that sound like a bird trying to meow. She's too cute but becomes less cute at 7 am when I've just fallen asleep and she thinks it's a great time to play. Admittedly, I love watching her play as she has a human/grasshopper/bear cub demeanor and it's odd and hilarious all at once. Just before I fell asleep this morning, she was bouncing around my bed. I was laughing out loud. She is the only cat that has ever made me laugh like this. I'll stop talking about Sofia. Bottom line is - I love her.

Oh this made me think of a passing thought I had last night (this morning) while I was laughing and horsing around with Sofia.  It was something about Crazy Cat Ladies versus SO many men that love their dogs more than their girlfriends. Cats are to women what dogs are to men. Fine, I'm totally generalizing here and making some serious gender oriented claims but it's just to bring home this point, that I will make in a second. I think it was this: why should I be considered a 'crazy cat lady' and be tagged with all the stereotypes and, ultimately, gender based discrimination when there are just as many, or more, men, single men, that have dogs as their companions, who, as I've already mentioned, treat their dogs like princesses and their partners like customer service representatives? Who cares that I'm a single woman with a cat that I love and care for? And who cares if my neighbour is a single man with a dog that he loves like his own child? At the end of the day, we all crave companionship and animals can be the best kind. They can love in a different way and can teach us how to love in a whole new way.

A little off topic, I admit but, there was no real topic to begin with because I forgot what it was. It will come to me at some point during the day and that's when I'll get it down.

I did have a brilliant idea this morning. Need to get the framework for that on paper today.



Ramble dee damble...


I found her here the other night while I was making dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment