Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All The Things I Am [August 2009]

I just came across something I wrote exactly a year ago (almost to the day) and want to share it now, a year later. It made me think of how much we can change in such little time. A year can feel like a lifetime. I was a different person then and I wonder what I would write now of all the things I am.



August 26, 2009
I am a grape coloured Volkswagen
With rusty edges and rattling struts.

I am calloused heels and red-chipped nail polish.
Unkempt hair. A clogged drain.
Fruit flies, empty wine bottles and a dead fish.

I am an over flowing closet and an empty fridge.
Second hand furniture, marked with flaws, stains and time.
Frayed towels, spots of paint on everything I own.

I am unread books and reread books.
The smell of an over flowing ashtray and tobacco.
Worldly trinkets, shells from the west and rocks from the south.

I am a dictionary. A reusable bag.
An orchid that has no flower and a tree with mangled roots.
An heirloom, a homemade gift and someone else’s junk.

I am a half inspired painting. A box of paintbrushes.
A self-portrait. A sketch.
Markers. Pencils. Charcoal and crayons.

I am a purple kitchen and a blue bathroom.
I am a homemade loaf of bread. Cereal for dinner.
An avocado. An onion. A rotten banana.

I am temptation and I am ego.
I am compassion, trust and integrity.
A bleeding heart, an open mind and a troubled soul.

I am depressed and elated. Hurt and empathetic.
I am indecisive and certain. Unfocused and driven.
A whirlwind of ideas, thoughts and intentions.

I am coffee and cigarettes and cigarettes and wine.
A good meal, a philosophical conversation.
Politics, social justice and current events.

I am a woman, a man and a child.
A gypsy, a goddess and a mother.
Nurturer, lover and friend.

I am. I am. I am.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I miss you. I wish we had more time. Now that you are gone I promise to be a better friend... I will follow your blog not because I should but because when i read it I feel like you are speaking right to my soul.

    xoxo erin

    ReplyDelete