Thursday, August 5, 2010

this could be love





I have been elated since I got here only a few nights ago. This city breathes on its own. People are everywhere. YOUNG people are out, moving, walking, talking, living. I was at Parc La Fontaine today in the afternoon and I was awestruck by how many young folks were laying around, enjoying the day. I can't believe I haven't been here before. If Montreal was a man he would be my best love match.


It feels as though I've been caught in the throes of passion for the past two days. My lips and tongue are sore from whispering words in French to myself. Thighs trembling from walking aimlessly through the streets and my skin sticky and hot from the sweltering heat. I have found love here, or at least the best part about falling in love. I want to spend every waking minute with this place. I don't want to close my eyes for a minute for fear of missing a smile, a turn, a laugh. I'll sleep when we know each other better; when we only want to get in on a few nights a week.


As I sat in the park today, I heard deep droning drums, surely mimicking the heartbeat of the city and its citizens. Many of which were right there, with me, enjoying a lazy Thursday afternoon in the park. Oh the people!! Everywhere are happy people (even the dogs seems happier and more playful). Catching glimpses of conversations feels like rolling through radio stations in a foreign country. Not quite clear, totally unfamiliar sounds threaded together, taunting you, begging you to understand, to part your lips and let new sounds reach out from inside you. If Montreal is my soul mate, the French language will be my lover.


Everywhere you turn there is someone smoking, drinking beer or wine or water. Reading, writing, playing, watching. There are people swinging lazily in hammocks, couples tangled up in love and lust. I can feel my own body reacting. A deep, animal attraction to all that surrounds me.


Aside from the puppy love I've been feeling, it's just been a lot of unpacking, settling in and exploring the streets and neighbourhoods. The humidity is almost unbearable. The heat during the day starts small fires just under your skin and while the sweat tries to cool down your body, you are left drowning and lightheaded. Clothes stick to you like melted gum to a shoe (happened to me today) and the torrential downpour in the evening provides little relief. We live in what seems to be the heart of everything and I couldn't ask for anything better, being a foreigner to this sultry city. All the famous streets, parks and hot spots are within walking distance, biking is even better. Every turn of a corner pushes the corners of my mouth even further north.


Looking forward to the coming days and months as the honeymoon stage begins to fade and real life begins. Inspiration is planting seeds in my mind, drawing maps through my veins, taking root in my heart. So this is what it means to feel inspired…

No comments:

Post a Comment