Sunday, August 8, 2010

Loneliness is a compliment to love.


These past days have been a wonderful mess of images, ideas, sights and sounds, overwhelming realizations and new understanding.

It always amazes me how even when you are at the height of falling in love, feeling every string in your heart being pulled in all directions, Love's dark and mysterious twin, Loneliness, is never too far behind. His presence is never so far that you can't at least see his silhouette on the horizon. Lurking, dancing with such fluidity that sometimes you envy his ability to be so comfortable in his own skin, never seeking refuge from his eternal solitude. Admittedly, I enjoy his company, even if he never says a word, never holds my hand or kisses me good night. He doesn't have to. He knows that he is not a lover but a close companion that typically shows up unannounced, when he is sure that him and I are the only ones around, when we can truly get to know each other.

What I have come to deeply appreciate about loneliness is that although it comes from a place of discomfort, it is rooted in strength and perseverance. Without it, we could never truly know who we are as individuals. Stripped of other peoples opinions, societal expectations, and our own desire to please, we are forced to look straight into our own eyes, examine our naked bodies and because there is no one else around to judge, advise, compliment, adore, heckle, laugh or encourage us, we can more readily accept ourselves, as we are, like it or not.

And so, as I spend my days love drunk and lonely, I am relishing in this experience. I will never get these first days back. I am sinking my feet right into solitary existence and sinking my teeth into all the beautiful pastries I pass along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment