Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dear Leila,

I was thinking today, as we shared a rainy morning wandering the cozy streets of the Mile End, that you have been in my life for years now but we've only spent a handful of times sharing pieces of ourselves. Because I am here or you are there or we are both there but with so much to do that time is not always at our disposal. Our friendship has been gradual, an evolution of trust, understanding and love. It has been a a constant without needing to be ever-present.

You described a drink you had at one of the numerous little retsos here in Montreal. It was made of real lemons with crushed watermelon spiced with rose and lavender. You told me that is was the most refreshing drink you could have had to save you from the scorching heat of this city. The heat that makes you cranky. You are that drink to me. You are refreshing, alive, perfectly spiced with a citrusy passion accented by a strong core and beautiful seeds that you want to share with the world. And you keep me from feeling cranky.

Your love for life, people and for the earth is contagious. I want to feel the earth as you do. For it to seep into the ripples between my fingerprints and plant its love right into my very being, as I think it's done for you. I want to understand my passions and light them on fire at the very thought of them, as I see in you when you speak of all the things that make you tick. I want to connect to all the wild hearts I meet along the dirt road in the way I've heard you tell stories of.

You have the gift. The gift we all seem to be searching for. Cherish it. Hold it close. Share it with only those who will honour it and not want to take from it. Like that little flame I spoke of today. Protect it from the vicious wind, hungry flame throwers and the ones that let their own light out. You are magic. Not the fluffy kind we like to giggle at and pretend we have less interest in than we do. And if you are magic then I believe in it and I believe in you. 

I am so thankful to have had this short time with you. We seem to be finding each other in short interims of time in places that are not yet our own. Keep moving if that's what your heart needs. Rest if your body and mind are tired. But please don't stop sharing your love with us, the rest of the world. Take that little tuft of bean sprout on top of your beautiful Arab head and go where you need to. My bangs will be fine without the solidarity of your tuft but are thankful for it. And perhaps I'll fall in love with Boomer's soul twin and find myself down in the Boom Room playing DD and wondering how I ended up there but not without giving thanks to the love and support I've been shown my my darling Leila and thinking about the good laugh we will have when we meet again.

Always love.
Bon voyage warrior woman.
May your feet be blessed.











No comments:

Post a Comment