My best friend called me howling into the phone. She found a grey hair! And not a grey hair where one might expect to find one. She found one down there! She cried that it was fine to find one or two on her head, not that she has, but to see the silvery spring of unwanted hair on her most precious body part was appalling. I tried to sympathize but all I could think was that she should just pluck it out and be done with it. But there was no stopping her rant.
Will more come? Is it like the myth about plucking but in reverse? You take one out and more will come, thicker and courser? What if a man finds one when he is exploring that sacred ground? Will he think she is older than she is? Oh god, she can’t shave it all off, that would be absurd and go against everything she believed in. She always believed women only did it to please men and their pornographic fantasies and that women wouldn’t even consider doing it at all if it wasn’t for men. And my best friend, being more of a feminist than I am, would never do anything just for a man, partially maybe, but never one thing for one man.
Her date was calling on the other line. She gasped and said, ‘I plucked it. I promise to keep my clothes on tonight. Love you!!' I laughed to myself when I got off the phone. That is the one promise women can make to each other that can and probably will be broken, it's an unspoken expectation.
No comments:
Post a Comment